MAKE UP YOUR MIND!

"Drugs are merely the most obvious form of addiction in our society. Drug addiction is one of the things that undermine traditional values."- Christopher Lasch.
  
People abuse substances such as alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs for varied and complicated reasons, but it is clear that our society pays a significant cost. Drug addiction destroys lives, tears apart families and harms society the source of this quote is unknown but the message it carries is confirmed in our hospitals and emergency departments both
through direct damage to health by substance abuse and its link to physical trauma.

Families are also thrown apart because one or some members of the family got into drug addiction. Abused substances produce some form of
intoxication that alters judgment, perception, attention, or physical control.



Most people start doing drugs because they are in pain or going through something terrible in the home or at work. But I wonder how that brings
relief. Can you find relief in puking your guts out? Is sleeping in the gutter relief? Is becoming incoherent relief? Is getting sexually abused relief? Is lying in the hospital sick relief? Is lying in the morgue relief? Does intoxicating yourself in the bid to forget not make it worse? You will still
become sober and remember everything and then what will happen next, get intoxicated again?

You even complicate matters because not only do you have to worry about whatever it is youre going through, you now also have to worry about buying the substance, making sure you have enough stashed and a lot that comes with it.

Some other people do drugs just out of pleasure. But what is the pleasure? They become socially withdrawn; as a matter of fact the only people they begin to associate with are abusers like themselves. Their life generally deteriorates; they may lose their jobs, status, prestige, friends, and even family. Where then is the pleasure in any of those?

Vincent said I started with the weed, then the pills and acid, making cocktails of all sorts of drugs, even overdosing to make the rushes last longer. I took copious amounts of these chemicals every day for as long as two years until I had a bad trip one night and went into toxic psychosis. I prayed and cried for this feeling to go away; I had voices in my head, had the shakes and couldn't leave home for six months.

I became very withdrawn and thought everyone was watching me. I couldnt walk in public places. Man! I couldnt even drive. I ended up homeless and on the streets, living and sleeping in a cardboard box, begging and struggling to find ways to get my next meal. I asked myself if this is rock bottom, and I believe that it was. While observing these homeless people I decided that I had had enough. Yes I wanted drugs, but I realized that I could want life more.

Vincent had a breakthrough and realized that life was more important to him and decided to live it. He was lucky to have survived the ordeal. Others have had it worse and didnt make it through. But if youre into substance abuse like Vincent was, you can make it through. All you have to do is make up your mind to walk away from it and seek medical help and counseling for withdrawal.

Trust me youre better off without it. Beloved, beyond Gods word seriously condemning this habit, it is a destroyer of destinies: it can cut short ones life. So why deliberately indulge in something that can terminate your life?

I dont know who this is for, but there is power available to set you free. Stay away from the substance; do not let it inflame you. Keep your family, friends, loved ones and most importantly keep God close to you and youll go through anything without having to damage your health or life. Your testimony will cause deliverance for many tomorrow. Shalom!

WISDOM NUGGET: Isaiah 5:11
Woe to those who rise early in the morning that they may run after strong drink... KJV

Let us pray: Father, I receive grace to stop this destructive habit (mention yours) in Jesus name.

No comments:

Post a Comment